WINETALK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WINETALK

Simply Wine / En Vino Veritas

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Duck and port

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud
Admin
Admin
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud

Male
Number of posts : 999
Emploi : Wine Consultant
Registration date : 2007-05-24

Duck and port Empty
PostSubject: Duck and port   Duck and port Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2007 11:18 pm

I had this wine today with duck:

Smith-Woodhouse LBV 1995

48 months in oak, bottled in 1999. Released on the market in Norway in 2007.

Color: Dark red with some dark brown showing, deep.

Nose: Prunes, raisins, mature black plum, spices, very peppery, mushrooms, slightly of noble wood, some eteric oils, dark chocolate.

Palate: Full bodied, very good balanced, good structure, tannins still distinct but fine, super smooth, slightly oily texture, fruit and aromas as above, very long finish, oak and alcohol totaly
integrated. Sweet.

Foodmatch: Game with port sauce. Cheese.

Cellaring: 0-15 years or more.

I am impressed, this is gold. So balanced and smooth.

I made perfect pink duck breasts, perfect, perfect.

Served with:
Forrest mushrooms fried in real ecological butter from Røros, Norway, some salt and pepper.

Small shallot onions fried also in very little butter and half a teaspoon of honey, salt, pepper until soft and golden.

Potatoe puré made with first class potatoes, butter, full cream, salt pepper and herbs.

Port and orange sauce:
I started with making a light colored roux, adding duck stock, then fresh orange juice, then a teaspoon of honey, then some ruby portwine, salt and pepper. I reduce the sauce and made some small ajustmenst in the end.

The Smith-Woodhouse LBV 1995 was awsome with this food.

Fortified wines exported from Portugal to England in the old days, actualy developed many, many dishes with game, and lamb that was quite sweet, they used a lot of fruit. All this to make the food go with the sweet wines from Portugal.
Back to top Go down
https://winetalk.forumotion.com

Duck and port
Page 1 of 1